Friday, November 5, 2010

A Season for Everything


It's a sad day here at the Caloss home, or should I say in the Caloss backyard? We had our pool covered for the season today. When I look out my window from my comfy spot on the couch not only is there this ugly green thing taking up 3/4 of the yard, my flowers have seen better days. I've uprooted much, and nature is taking its course on the rest.

The calendar said it was autumn a month ago. It didn't feel like it then, but boy is it ever feeling like it now! I love autumn! I'm SO grateful for the cooler days, the wonderful smell of the fallen pine needles, and the little splashes of red and yellow on the trees. However, I have to admit there's one thing I don't like about autumn and that is....it means winter is right around the corner.

Winter is cold and dreary. Everything is dead. And for this girl who loves bein' outside and soakin' in the sun.......winter is....well, kind of like torture.

As I was staring out the window and contemplating the change of season the Holy Spirit brought a song to my mind. It's called "Every Season" by Nicole Nordeman. You've gotta click on this link so you can listen to it now. Don't read another word until you do.

So I wonder.....what season are you in? I'm not talking summer, autumn, winter or spring here. I'm talking about your walk with the Lord.

As I was studying the book of Judges this week these seasons just jumped off the pages at me.

1. The Israelites (God's chosen people) forgot the one true God and all he had done for them.
2. They went their own way and worshipped their own gods.
3. God became angry, so he turned them over.
4. They were distressed, so they cried out to God.
5. God had compassion on them, so he sent a deliverer.
6. Then, finally....there was a time of peace.

I know God recorded this cycle in the Old Testament over and over because he wants us to GET IT.....to realize that HE is the ONE TRUE GOD and HE'S ALL WE NEED.

I have to admit.....it's way too easy for me to judge those Israelites and say, "Why didn't theyget it? Why did they keep turning away? Why didn't they ever learn?" But the reality is.....I'm just like them. I've repeated the cycle in my own life a time or two.

So I asked myself "why?", and I think I've figured it out. It's really not all that difficult. It's just hard to admit. It comes down to this.....

I have too many selfish ambitions.....grand ideas of what I think MY life should look like. The reason why the cycle repeats is because when I get to the "breaking point" I choose the easy way out.....at least it seems easy at the time....until you realize you're wandering in the desert a million miles from home.

Perhaps Philippians 2:1-9 will shed some light......

"Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!"

Instead of being willing to die, you.........
......make your own plan
.............give up
...................go your own way
.........................settle with status quo

But you wanna know something? One of the most amazing things about being a Christian is....instead of dying and.......well, being dead........we die and the master gardener recreates us into something even more beautiful.

So what in the WORLD does all this have to do with green pool covers and the fact that I'm dreading winter????? Well, it gives me hope! I don't have to dread winter. I can look forward to and enjoy the process of dying (to self).

I can cling to the cross. When things aren't going the way I think they should be going, it doesn't mean he's not working on my behalf. It's the Lord giving me the opportunity to be conformed to His image! Brokenness is his will for me.

Psalm 51:16-18 says,
"Offerings and sacrifices are not what you want. The way to please you is to feel sorrow deep in our hearts. This is the kind of sacrifice you won't refuse."

And you know what else? Psalm 34:18 says,
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

I can't imagine a better place to be......CLOSE to my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment