Friday, February 11, 2011

Truth...Part Two

I've got some 'xplainin' to do.

I'll start by sharing Luke 10:38-42.
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

On my way home from dropping my daughter off at school yesterday I got a sweet phone call from my 12 year-old son whom I homeschool. "Mommy, when you get home do you think we could go outside and build a snowman together?"

Now, at this time of day I always feel like I have a MILLION things to do. Yesterday was no different. There was a HUGE pile of clothes in the laundry room, a basket or two of clothes on the couch to fold, dishes in the dishwasher to be unloaded, a stack of dishes in the sink, and on top of that...I had to be at Bible study at 9:10 AND be my child's teacher for the day!

So....you can imagine what was going through my head. Thankfully I couldn't bring myself to say no. I wanted to say no. I didn't have time, and I knew it wasn't going to be good snow for snowman building! Nonetheless, we bundled up and gave it our best effort. After a few minutes of trying we ditched the snowman idea and just had a snow fight. We ran. We played. We laughed. I knew I was going to be late for Bible study, but the Lord reminded me of a photograph I recently took while spending an afternoon at the laundromat.

Our washing machine had broken and we were without our own for about 5-6 days. While I was staring at that laundry tumbling 'round and 'round I thought of our dwarf hamster (now deceased and properly buried in the Caloss critter cemetery)....and how he would spend ALL night on his wheel going no-where. I prayed that moment, "Lord, keep me OFF that spinning wheel/that rat-race that leads to emptiness."

So, back to yesterday! I had two choices: 1) I could be on-time for Bible study (that would be a good thing), or 2) I could jump off the wheel and savor this moment with my son (that was the better thing...the thing that was needed).

Believe me...it was NOT an easy decision! My flesh wanted to please man. I didn't want to be late, because I have this inherent "good girl" complex (which, by the way, I am recovering from as I know Jesus more). But you see if we do something for ANY other reason than because we LOVE JESUS (Colossians 3:17, 23) we are like a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal and we gain nothing (1 Corinthians 13:1-3). In fact, we will lose reward (1 Corinthians 3:11-15).

Don't get me wrong! HE is our very great reward (Genesis 15:1), and once we are HIS no one can snatch us out of His hand (John 10:29).

Anyway, I don't know about you but I want some rewards in heaven (the gold, silver, costly stones kind)! I've always had a thing for crowns (that's another blog for another day).

Perhaps the reason for all this rambling I'm doing is to just encourage you (and myself) to let Jesus be your judge. Man looks at the outward appearance, but He looks at the heart (1 Samuel 16:7)!

My prayer for today: O Lord, you know my heart. You know when I'm doing things for the wrong reasons. Forgive me for those times and for judging others' motives. Help me to see your will day by day, moment by moment. Keep me off the spinning wheel and on the path of righteousness that leads right straight to you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, and by the way...there's still that HUGE pile of clothes on the laundry room floor and two baskets of clothes to be folded on the couch. I don't know if I'm gonna get to them today either, but life goes on. :)

    ReplyDelete